HOT NIGHTS IN THE HILLS-AN EXCERPT

Alty was only coming to school three days a week and his grades had dropped. He was called up by the principal, Mr. Joel Sergeant. “Alty, if your grades don’t improve, you’ll have to find another school.” “They will improve, sir.” “There are a lot of rumors out there about you and various women. Some of them are old enough to be your mother.” The principal’s secretary, Mrs. Allen came into the room. She was middle aged and a staunch Christian woman. She was a deaconess, the church secretary plus she held many other positions. Alty knew that she lived in Jackson and knew Cindy. She had grown children, two girls and one boy. The principal was married and the father of four children, two teenaged boys and girls. “Have you asked him about Cindy? As far as I know, she is pregnant for him,” Mrs. Allen stated. “What! You’ll have to leave this school, Alty. I won’t have it, not up here. Is this Cindy a student here?” “No, sir, she lives over in Jackson.” “I warned that woman, I warned the police about those two hotels. They are nothing more than brothels. They are responsible for the scandalous behavior of people like Alty.” “I don’t think either Miss Georgette or Miss Stacy check on the ages of the students before renting them rooms,” Mrs. Allen remarked. Alty wanted to tell them that he had seen Miss Georgette doing just that. “These students are so smart and some of them look like each other. How old are you, Alty?” Alty hesitated before replying. “I am twenty years old, sir.” “What! I can’t believe it, how in hell did we admit a boy that old? No wonder, he’s going about the place impregnating any girl he can catch. How did this happen, Mrs. Allen?” “I don’t know, sir. I just joined the staff a year ago.” “This boy could cause a scandal on this school. Suppose it got out that we have an over age boy at our school and he was going around the community sleeping with any woman he can find.” Alty wanted to say something, but he knew the principal would shut him up. He had seen students expelled for less than what he had done. “I want to look at his attendance record.” Mrs. Allen brought the records for the principal to see. “He’s hardly coming to school and his grades have dropped. He’s behaving like a village ram, I know that’s why his grades have dropped.” “Alty, why can’t you behave and improve your grades? You’ll need them to graduate.” “Yes, Miss, I realize that,” he said and moved off. “Where are you going? I’m not finished with you yet.” “You’re on a month’s probation. If I hear that any more women are pregnant for you, then you’re out.” “Alty, who is going to take care of the baby when it is born?” “As soon as I leave school, I’ll get a job, sir.” The headmaster shook his head. “Cindy is a teacher over at Jackson primary school,” Mrs. Allen informed him. He looked at her then back at Alty. “I wonder if she didn’t know that he was a student. Mrs. Allen, do you know the young lady? I want to talk to her. Alty, you’re banned from going to either of those two brothels.” He then dismissed him from his presence. Readers, please go to payhip.com or bookfusion.com to download you copy today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Bushes to cut Firewood-review

BUBBLE'S BABY-An Excerpt

Jamaica Creative Writer's Conference