Honest Driver


                                                 The Honest Driver
                                                                   by
                                                    Austin Mitchell

           I can’t seem to remember the bus number. All I remember is that when I came of the bus in Half Way Tree my wallet was missing. I don’t think the transportation depot had been completed at the time. In all likelihoods I had alighted on Eastwood Park Road. I can’t tell you how much money it was except to say that it was a substantial amount. In my wallet I had two credit cards and my debit cards plus other important cards like my driver’s licence. I kept thinking that if my credit cards fell into the wrong hands I would be in serious trouble. At the time there were substantial amounts on both cards.
          The next day I reported the loss of my cards to the bank. But in the afternoon my wife phoned me saying that my wallet had been found. I got a telephone number to call. It was one of the bus company’s drivers. We met in Cross Roads the next evening.
          He told me that somebody had found the wallet and handed it to him. He also said that at least three persons claimed to know me. They requested that he hand over the wallet to them and they would deliver it to me.
          The most insistent of all was a woman who came off the bus in Meadowbrook. When he asked her how old she thought I was. She said that as far as she knew I was in my thirties. The driver said he laughed but she exited the bus very angry with him. I thanked the driver and gave him a small reward for his honesty. After all, my wallet was intact and nothing was missing. The End.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Bushes to cut Firewood-review

BUBBLE'S BABY-An Excerpt

Jamaica Creative Writer's Conference