Give us Back our Names



Give us back our Names
by
Austin Mitchell
1
I want back my name
Give me back my name
They took my name
And gave me their name
2
I don’t look British
I’m not French or English
 Or Portugeese or Scottish
Neither Dutch nor Spanish
3
So how come I have this name?
This European name
Can’t blame my father
Can’t blame my mother
4
                       What happened to my African names?
They took it away
Gave me their names
Tell me why you took it away?
5
Reparation can’t heal the breach
No money, no apologies will heal the breach
Tell us why you gave us your names?
What was wrong with our names?
6
We want to know the truth
The truth about our names
Don’t give us money, tell us the truth
About our names
7
I guess we’ll never know
They don’t want us to know
The reason we lost our names

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Bushes to cut Firewood-review

BUBBLE'S BABY-An Excerpt

Jamaica Creative Writer's Conference