The Iniquity Workers-Excerpt

The Iniquity Workers by Austin Mitchell “Mind you kill him, Celes,” Eugenie shouted to her sister-in-law, as she came through her gate. The woman had a big belt in her hand and her youngest son, Selvin’s face was soaked in tears. There were marks all over his body. “I was passing and heard the noise up here so I came to find out what’s happening.” “I can’t find some of the money that Sweetie sent for me. I feel that it’s one of them who stole it, but nobody wants to talk.” Eugenie’s brother and Celestine’s husband, Ralston, had met an untimely death two years ago in falling off a ladder and breaking his neck. Sweetie, was Eugenie’s and Ralston’s youngest sister, who migrated to England some fifteen years ago. Most holidays but especially at Christmas she would send money and clothes for her siblings and in-laws. “I changed it up at Mr. Roy’s shop,” Celestine informed Eugenie. “Are you sure you didn’t put it somewhere and can’t find it, Celes?” “I know where I put it under my mattress. I don’t have any man coming to look for me so it must be one of them who took it.” “Are you sure that it wasn’t one of those boys from about the place.” Celestine considered for a moment. “I went down to Miss Birdie’s shop and when I returned I found the back door open. All of them were at school. It’s from that time that I missed the money.” “Celes, you can’t put all of the blame on your children. It could be one of those boys from out the road.” “I’m not one hundred percent certain. I’m not going to call the police because I don’t want them to rough them up.” “If when I return from Kingston this weekend the money is still missing, they will have to call the police on me for what I’m going to do,” Celestine threatened and a shiver ran through Eugenie. “Celes, it’s tonight we have turning out for Miss Zella and Sunday is Mister Benjie’s funeral.” “I can’t miss Miss Zella’s turning out and I have to be at both Mister Benjie set up and his funeral,” Celestine replied as Eugenie left for her home to start preparing dinner for her husband and children. *** After Eugenie left Celestine examined the big ring on her right hand ring finger. She wore the ring after meeting some hard times at the market. She had gone to see Cracker Jack, a science man living in Duffield district, five miles from their village of Coffee Field. On at least three Saturdays she had gone to the market and sold not a single piece of produce. She was facing ruin as she had to fork out money to pay people whose goods she had taken. “Your enemies are near, if you turn around, you must see them.” Celestine was puzzled by what Cracker Jack said. Nevertheless, she turned around only to see the big smile on his face. “They are the same blood and they are your best friends.” If you enjoy reading this excerpt why not click on my pages at Amazon. There you will find several of my novels, poems, collection of short stories and plays.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Bushes to cut Firewood-review

BUBBLE'S BABY-An Excerpt

Jamaica Creative Writer's Conference