Writing in Jamaica

I am no expert on writing. Creative writing is something I've wanted to do. Because Jamaica is a vocal community it is very difficult to succeed as a writer unless you are based overseas or affiliated to some university. For example where do you go in Jamaica to be trained as a writer of fiction. I know that some preliminary courses are taught in the schools but I don't know what is taught at the University level. I wish that they would offer a course in it if even at the Associate degree level or even a diploma. There doesn't seem to be any department of government showing any interest in creative writing. For example I hear all the time about creating a film industry in Jamaica but where are they going to get material from. Putting on a one week training in various creative writing genre doesn't cut it. I have seen several online courses being offered but I'm not sure how genuine they are. There are a lot of stories to tell, we have lost a lot of our history. It is only a few of our people who write. I think it is incumbent on this generation to write our history whether in fiction or non-fiction but where are they going to get the tools from. I read in a book that black men were in the American West in various roles but when that history came to be written they written out of it. It is clear that one race cannot depend on another race to write about them.They have to do it for themselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Bushes to cut Firewood-review

BUBBLE'S BABY-An Excerpt

Jamaica Creative Writer's Conference