The Story of Dixie Jonas-excerpt from a short story by Austin Mitchell



The Story of Dixie Jonas
by
Austin Mitchell

        Dixie Jonas and his woman, Myra Livingston, lived about fifteen miles out of Kingston. The two bedroom house was rented. Myra operated a shop off Constant Spring Road while Dixie sold a numbers game called Pot of Cash for a woman called Miss Linda.
            It was a Monday evening and they had already eaten dinner. Dixie was drinking some stout and milk.
            “Myra, you know that you would make more money if you start selling Pot of Cash with me.”
            Dixie had been down on her to start selling the game. His commission was ten percent of his sales amounting to almost eight thousand dollars a day.
            “I’m all right where I am. I’m supposed to get another loan from my agency so I should be able to get some more stock.”
            “I want to change my car next year. I want to buy something brand new.”
            “With the amount of money you are making, you can soon afford anything. But how long is it going to last? I am wondering.”
            “With the two of us bringing in that kind of money every day, think of what we could do? Five years from now and we could be rotten rich.” 
            “You remember last year in Treadways? You were saying the same thing, but we had to move overnight.
            “It’s just some bad vibes that went down, baby. Don’t worry yourself, nothing like that will happen again.”
            “How am I sure it’s not some pyramid scheme you are in again?  By the way, where is Miss Bidwell?”
            Dixie opened another stout and started drinking. He looked at her before replying.
            “I’m surprised to hear you asking about Miss Bidwell. You know that after the scheme collapsed, she ran away to America. She has money for me and several other persons and even you too.”
            Somebody was knocking on their gate. Dixie could see Myra’s face turn ashen white. He drew back the curtains and peered outside.
            “Who’s out there?” she asked.
            “It’s a man,” Dixie replied and went and slightly opened their front door.
            “What do you want?”
            “Are you, Dixie? Elder sent me to you. He says that you can help me.”
            “So long as is Elder who recommended you, you can come in, just pull the gate.  What is you name?”
            “They call me Nully. Are you sure your dogs won’t bite me?” Nully pulled the gate and entered the yard.
            “We don’t have any dogs. But I always have my dog in a convenient place where I can reach it anytime.” Dixie told him as the man came on to the verandah.
            They went into the living room. Nully greeted Myra.
            “Elder says that you know some people, who can set up things fast. I want to reach America in two weeks time.”
            Dixie considered for a moment. He looked over at Myra, her brows were knitted, he was wondering if Nully saw it.
            “What you want is no problem, but it’s going to cost you. It’s one hundred and fifty down and fifty more when the job is finished.”
            Nully took out a brown paper-bag and handed it to Dixie. Dixie took out the contents. The notes were wrapped in plastic and in several denominations. Dixie didn’t attempt to count them there and then.
            “I am taking your word that it’s the right amount of money. Elder will know that you gave me this money and I have my woman as a witness.”
            “Why does your wife look so nervous? For a moment she had me scared, like something bad was going to happen. Anyway, like you said, you always have your dog ready, I’m always heavy.”
            Dixie didn’t want to get into a sparring match with Nully. He just wanted the man to be gone so that he and Myra could start counting the money.
Read the full story in 'Bring back the good old Days' or 'Days up the River.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Bushes to cut Firewood-review

BUBBLE'S BABY-An Excerpt

Jamaica Creative Writer's Conference