Making Grass Mats to Sell

I wrote an anthology of  short stories called' Making Grass Mats' to sell.   I remember a man called Sam Douglas and his sons used to pass my home early every Saturday morning going to cut grass to make mats. A man called Willie Smith and his sons would also go  too as would the Fraziers from Retreat. Women would also pass on their way to Harkers Hall to buy straw for making hat. They would also go to Bog Walk  to buy oranges. They would make all sorts of mats. I remember learning to make grass mats. We would cut the grass put it to quail, then plait it into long ropes. We would then use a big needle with special thread to sow the mats. I saw some huge mats with many patterns that could cover the floor of most living rooms. I used to see these mats on South Avenue off Constant Spring Road. I have passed by the area recently and I saw only a few of them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Bushes to cut Firewood-review

BUBBLE'S BABY-An Excerpt

Jamaica Creative Writer's Conference