The Hurricane Season

So the 2016 Hurricane Season is upon us. The season begins on June 1st and ends on November 30th. In September 1988 we were hit by a devastating hurricane called Gilbert. This hurricane wreaked millions of dollars worth of damage on the country and led to the loss of several lives. On the morning after the hurricane I was walking down to Bayside in Portmore when a man told me that men were down there looting a supermarket. My parent's home in  the country was almost destroyed. Hundreds of houses lost their roofs. Many of us who had never experienced an hurricane before felt that we had had enough. A neighbor of mine in the rural areas was killed when his roof fell on him. I took two days off work but when we returned our boss quarreled with us about staff using the hurricane as an excuse not to turn up for work. I knew that that hurricane cost us a sizeable portion of our GDP that year. As I have mentioned people used the hurricane to loot other people's property. Another man told me that he saw a man stealing a refrigerator. Because I had a slab roof my house only suffered minimal damage from the water. We were out of water for a good while and also electricity. When we returned to work they were only selling corned beef sandwiches. We have had many storms after that but none as devastating as Gilbert.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Going to the Bushes to cut Firewood-review

BUBBLE'S BABY-An Excerpt

Jamaica Creative Writer's Conference